Carbon fiber is not the same as fiberglass. I believe they pressure tested the vessel to ~~ 6,200 PSI (roughly 14,000' depth).

That said, if something goes wrong at that kind of pressure (~~ 5,400 PSI), the failure would be measured in milliseconds.

On 6/22/2023 8:34 AM, Chuck McCown via AF wrote:
Water pressure at 12,500' is something like 5400 psi.  There is a lot of area on that tube.  Who trusts essentially fiberglass to withstand 5400 psi? If it was a pressure vessel it is one thing, but this is essentially a vacuum inside the tube, the forces pushing on it are not pulling on those fibers.  The tiniest non symmetry in shape would be no bueno.

-----Original Message----- From: dmmoff...@gmail.com
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2023 7:02 AM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group'
Cc: ch...@go-mtc.com
Subject: RE: [AFMUG] This thing on?

I read a commentary today saying the hull was made of titanium and carbon
fiber.

An Operations Director for the manufacturer delivered a quality control
report saying that the carbon fiber hull carried a risk of small defects
expanding into major failures under pressure.  They were relying on an
acoustic fault detection system that was supposed to alert the pilot if
there were sounds indicating stress in the hull.  That Operations Director said you'd have a matter of milliseconds between that alert system going off and a catastrophic failure.  He'd expressed those concerns verbally and was ignored, so he delivered that report to senior management in 2018 to create a written record of his concerns, and was immediately fired.  Then he took his report to OSHA, there was a lawsuit about divulging company information or some such.  Lawsuit settled later that year, OSHA didn't take any action against the manufacturer.  I'd bet a nickel that OSHA doesn't have specific rules for submarines, and without any rules to follow they don't have enough
knowledge to assess whether one is actually safe.