So, are the vines getting removed and killed?

From: dmmoff...@gmail.com
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2024 1:13 PM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group'
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Vines on utility pole growing into power space - safety
questions

Since posting about this on Friday I reviewed OSHA and NESC on this topic and I
find that the execution of the vine removal was done with abundantly more
caution than was actually required, and I’ll stand by that.  We did it safely.
We’re not supposed to do it, but not having permission is not the same as doing
it unsafely IMO.

It is a fact that we’re not one of the power company’s authorized tree removal
contractors, so I acted in violation of our pole attachment contract.

It’s also a fact that I acted outside of the chain of command.  The director of
my department has chastised me for that.  I should have escalated the issue
through him instead of going into cowboy mode.

So I’ve been a bad boy and deserve some consequences, but I didn’t put anyone
in danger.  I gratefully accept Steve’s wrist slap.

The initial reaction was exactly what you said.  “call the electric co”.
Almost 2 weeks later the vines were still there and we’re still losing fibers
to the squirrels. Incidentally, the guy who was in communication with the
electric co is the same one who declared it a “near miss” safety incident.
Apparently the last thing he heard was that all customers were up, and he was
unaware of the ongoing issues or else he would have expressed more urgency to
the electric co.  I don’t know how that happened given that a crew rolled
customers to new fibers 6 times over 2 weeks, and that crew reports to him.
I’m not going to go into any theories, but the situation looks at least as
unflattering for him as it is for me.

-Adam