From: "Ken Hohhof" <khoh...@kwom.com>
To: "AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group" <af@af.afmug.com>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2024 8:59:01 AM
Subject: [AFMUG] race to the bottom?

I’m noticing some trends with the numbers for FWA that I can’t make sense out
of.

- monthly price is expected to be $30 to $50
- speed is expected to be 100M to 1G
- equipment cost is around $1000 per sub for AP+CPE (if you have at least
50-100 subs per tower)
- include a free router or mesh system
- throw in freebies like streaming, gift cards, reimburse cancellation fees,
etc.

I understand with fiber you probably have high take rate and low churn, and
eventually make that investment back. But with FWA, it seems like there will
always be churn, and expensive CPE either not returned or having to be
refurbished and reinstalled. New owner might instead go with 5G home Internet
or Starlink or another WISP (people have lots of choices), or BEAD subsidized
fiber and now you’ve probably lost that location permanently (unless you’re the
one putting in the fiber).

So is this a race to the bottom with other people’s money? Or am I missing
other revenue sources like ads, harvesting and selling data, bundled services?

I get the same feeling as the early days of streaming when everybody was losing
money to get market share, until the reckoning when they tried to turn a
profit. It also seemed that way in the 5G home Internet world with T-Mobile and
Verizon offering promo pricing, then raising prices, but now they’re back to
$30 and $50 prices.