On 6/5/07, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think a system can get arbitrarily complex without being conscious --
> consciousness is a specific kind of model-based, summarizing,
> self-monitoring
> architecture.

Yes.  That is a good clarification of what I meant rather than what I said.

> That said, I think consciousness is necessary
> but not sufficient for moral agency.

On the other hand, I don't believe that consciousness is necessary for moral
agency.

What a provocative statement!

Isn't it indisputable that agency is necessarily on behalf of some
perceived entity (a self) and that assessment of the "morality" of any
decision is always only relative to a subjective model of "rightness"?
In other words, doesn't the difference between "it works" and "it's
moral" hinge on the role of a subjective self as actor?

- Jef