James,

Frank Jackson (in "Epiphenomenal Qualia") defined qualia as
"...certain features of the bodily sensations especially, but also of
certain perceptual experiences, which no amount of purely physical
information includes.. :-)

If it walks like a human, talks like a human, then for all those
aspects it is a human

If it feels like a human and if Frank is correct :-) then the system
may, under certain circumstances, want to modify given goals based on
preferences that could not be found in its memory (nor in CPU
registers etc.). So, with some assumptions, we might be able to write
some code for the feelPainTest procedure, but no idea for the actual
feelPain procedure.

Jiri