--- James Ratcliff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Whihc compiler did you use for Human OS V1.0?
> Didnt realize we had a CPP compiler out already....hmmmm

The purpose of my little pain-feeling program is to point out some of the
difficulties in applying ethics-for-humans to machines.  The program has two
characteristics that we normally associate with pain in humans.  First, it
expresses pain (by saying "Ouch! and making a sad face), and second and more
importantly, it has a goal of avoiding pain.  Its behavior is consistent with
learning by negative reinforcement in animals.  Given an input and response
followed by negative reinforcement, it is less likely to output the same
response to that input in the future.

One might question whether animals feel pain, but I think most people will
agree that negative reinforcement stimuli typically used in animals, such as
electric shock, is painful in humans, and further, that any type of pain
signal in humans elicits a behavioral response consistent with negative
reinforcement (i.e. avoidance).

So now for the hard question.  Is it possible for an AGI or any other machine
to experience pain?

If yes, then how do you define pain in a machine?

If no, then what makes the human brain different from a computer? (assuming
you believe that humans can feel pain)

> Jiri Jelinek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Matt,
>
> >Here is a program that feels pain.
>
> I got the logic, but no pain when processing the code in my mind.
> Maybe you should mention in the pain.cpp description that it needs to
> be processed for long enough - so whatever is gonna process it, it
> will eventually get to the 'I don't "feel" like doing this any more'
> point. ;-)) Looks like the entropy is kind of "pain" to us (& to our
> devices) and the negative entropy might be kind of "pain" to the
> universe. Hopefully, when (/if) our AGI figures this out, it will not
> attempt to squeeze the Universe into a single spot to "solve" it.
>
> Regards,
> Jiri Jelinek
>
> On 6/11/07, Matt Mahoney  wrote:
> > Here is a program that feels pain.  It is a simulation of a 2-input logic
> gate
> > that you train by reinforcement learning.  It "feels" in the sense that it
> > adjusts its behavior to avoid negative reinforcement from the user.
> >

> > /* pain.cpp - A program that can feel pleasure and pain.
> >
> > The program simulates a programmable 2-input logic gate.
> > You train it by reinforcement conditioning.  You provide a pair of
> > input bits (00, 01, 10, or 11).  It will output a 0 or 1.  If the
> > output is correct, you "reward" it by entering "+".  If it is wrong,
> > you "punish" it by entering "-".  You can program it this way to
> > implement any 2-input logic function (AND, OR, XOR, NAND, etc).
> > */
> >
> > #include
> > #include
> > using namespace std;
> >
> > int main() {
> >   // probability of output 1 given input 00, 01, 10, 11
> >   double wt[4]={0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5};
> >
> >   while (1) {
> >     cout << "Please input 2 bits (00, 01, 10, 11): ";
> >     char b1, b2;
> >     cin >> b1 >> b2;
> >     int input = (b1-'0')*2+(b2-'0');
> >     if (input >= 0 && input < 4) {
> >       int response = double(rand())/RAND_MAX < wt[input];
> >       cout << "Output = " << response
> >            << ".  Please enter + if right, - if wrong: ";
> >       char reinforcement;
> >       cin >> reinforcement;
> >       if (reinforcement == '+')
> >         cout << "aah! :-)\n";
> >       else if (reinforcement == '-')
> >         cout << "ouch! :-(\n";
> >       else
> >         continue;
> >       int adjustment = (reinforcement == '-') ^ response;
> >       if (adjustment == 0)
> >         wt[input] /= 2;
> >       else
> >         wt[input] = 1 - (1 - wt[input])/2;