Ben,

>From reading the list of publications, it looks just like you said.  Most of
its individual papers relate to how to make computers gain a particular
competency that we hope our systems would learn largely automatically.

But some of the black boxes sound quite interesting.  Like one of the papers
was entitled "Hierarchical Hidden Markov Models with General State
Hierarchy."  This is a basic general concept which, with modification, could
be quit useful in an AGI as a way for matching (particularly temporal)
hierarchical models against perceptual inputs or feedback.  Jim Baker, the
Guru at Dragon Systems said if he had time he would really like to get into
Markov fields which are the n-dimensional extension of Markov Models (which
generally are, with the exception of branching, one dimensional).  So
presumably the concept of hierarchical hidden Markov models could be
extended to general pattern matching.

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin Goertzel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 1:05 PM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: FW: [agi] AGI DARPA-style

Yeah, I've been following that for a while.  There are some very smart
people involved, and it's quite possible they'll make a useful
software tool, but I don't feel they have a really viable unified
cognitive architecture.  It's the sort of architecture where different
components are written in different programming languages based on
unrelated ideas and are hooked together in an overall architecture,
interacting with each other as black boxes.  No emergent intelligence
via inter-component interactions is likely to arise in this
approach....  And of course the lack of embodiment makes any solution
to the symbol-grounding problem unlikely to emerge...

-- Ben

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;