Gene probably meant a hash function. Encryption functions may not necessarily be completely mathematical - since many of them operate on bits (components of the real information).

Saravana - do a Google search on one-way functions. Also, take a look at this link
http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~oded/frag.html
which has fragments from one of the most celebrated cryptography book - there's a chapter on one-way function which is available in postscript.

good luck
mayur