Hello algorithm enthusiasts!  I recently became interested in
Minesweeper-solving algorithms, and would like to propose a
competition.

We will each write a C/C++/Java function that takes a minesweeper
board, along with its width and height, and then returns which square
to click next.  For example, we might use the following function
prototype:

void whereToClick(char **board, int width, int height, int *x, int *y);

board -- a two-dimensional array of chars representing each square on
the board with
                   -1 --> uncovered square
                   0  --> square with no surrounding mines
                   1  --> square with 1 adjacent mine
                   8  --> square with 8 adjacent mines
width -- the width of the board
height -- the height of the board
*x -- once the best square to click has been decided, place its x
coordinate here
*y -- once the best square to click has been decided, place its y
coordinate here

The winning function will be that which clears the most mines on
average before uncovering a mine or finishing the puzzle.  Perhaps we
might consider time points as well.

If you're interested, post here.

Jeff Cameron