Hey all, i am working on putting dynamic memory allocation in a small
C program, but i am not sure if i am doing it right. Can somebody
please explain to how to correct the code, and if i am using pointers
correctly. I worked out the first part but now require to do the 2nd
part and the array numbers are been sorted, however the 2nd required
of the program is dynamically allocate memory into the array.

I am also greatful to the person who helped me in my previous post,
their corrects worked and i am able to understand what the code is
doing

Cheers,
Peri.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void insert_sort(int a[],int n);

int main()
{

        int i;
        int number
        int array[number];
        int *ptr;

        printf("Please add each number to be sorted? ");
    scanf("%d", &number);

        ptr = malloc(array[i]*sizeof(int));

        printf("Before the sort:\n");

        for(i=0;i<number;i++)
                printf("%d", *(ptr+i)=i);
                printf("\n");

        insert_sort(array,number);
        printf("After the sort:\n");

        for(i=0;i<number;i++)
         printf("%d \n", *(ptr+(i-1)));

    free(ptr);
        return 0;

}

void insert_sort(int a[],int n)
{
        int j, p;
        int tmp;

        for(p = 1; p < n; p++)
        {
                tmp = a[p];
                for(j = p; j > 0 && a[j-1] > tmp; j--)
                a[j] = a[j-1];
                a[j] = tmp;
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the output for gcc -ansi -Wall -o -pendatic insertion_sort.c

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/NEW_ALACRITAS]$ gcc -ansi -Wall -o -pendatic
insertion_sor
t.c
insertion_sort.c: In function `main':
insertion_sort.c:14: error: syntax error before "int"
insertion_sort.c:18: error: `number' undeclared (first use in this
function)
insertion_sort.c:18: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
only once
insertion_sort.c:18: error: for each function it appears in.)
insertion_sort.c:20: error: `array' undeclared (first use in this
function)
insertion_sort.c:52:2: warning: no newline at end of file