Hi,

The input to path-planning algorithms is often a graph (graph, as in,
nodes and edges). For a given map, one needs to first construct the
graph; one thumb rule is to establish all discrete reachable points
(like a cross-road, or an avenue) as vertices. Essentially, starting
from your source, create connections to "all" the points that are
reachable. Another heuristic is to eliminate points which are on the
same path (line or curve or whatever), and treat only the end points
as vertices. Once you have a graph, then based on the optimization
criterion (whether it's the total weight of the path, or the number of
hops), you decide the appropriate search algorithm (which, as
mentioned earlier, includes Dijkstra's algo among others).

There are some randomized algorithms for faster path-planning
...google for them if you wish...

Thanks,
Mayur