I was looking in VIJAY VAZIRANI Approximation Algorithms, but from the Table
of contents , it seems that such algorithm is not there.

But you should try searching algortihm for finding maximal independent set
of fixed sized boxes.... or unit sided.... it is somewhat dual, and there is
good algortihm and PTAS for that.

I know 2 approximation algorithm for fixed boxes, it is that you split input
point to strips of unit size, and for each strip you compute minimum.

now the optimal solution is smaller that number of covers of points from
strips 0,2,4,8,10... you take each other. and also if you take 1,3,5,7,9...

you can improve this by using the dynamci programing to solve for two strips
at one time, but i am not sure how would that work, but that approach was
used to find PTAS for finding maximum independent set in one unit side
rectanges. Which can be somehow be found on internet.