I take it from the problem description that you are given n intervals
[r1(i),r2(i)]_i=1^n and are to choose an x(i) in each interval so as
to minimize the maximum value of |x(i)-x(j)|. The intervals may
overlap, in which case you may be able to pick equally-spaced points,
or they may not overlap, in which the endpoints of the intervals
become constraints on the selection of the x(i), and may prevent you
from selecting equally-spaced points.

Dave