This is a very common problem actually. And is most often solved using curve
fitting only. We choose the curve to be polynomial of minimum degree and
then use some interpolation method to get the exact polynomial.

You may like to see the same problem at spoj:

https://www.spoj.pl/problems/CMPLS/

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Dave <dave_and_da...@juno.com> wrote:

> Kamal, wouldn't Microsoft want you to exhibit thinking outside the box
> on an interview question like this? If so, suggesting something like
> polynomial regression would be ho-hum. Furthermore, considering
> Occam's Razor, it would totally miss geometric sequences, the
> Fibonacci sequence, prime numbers, etc. I think that going to the
> database of integer sequences would be a much better response.
>
> Dave
>
> On Oct 30, 11:09 am, Kamal <kannanju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In simple terms, if you are going to use only polynomial functions as f
> > (x), this a polynomial curve fitting problem. Here, the input points
> > are (1,2) (2,4) (3,6) and so on...
> >
> > There are many approaches to solve this. You can even consider other
> > functions to model the series according to the need. A related well
> > studied topic is Polynomial Regression (Regression Analysis in
> > general)
> >
> > --
> > Kamal
> >
> > On Oct 30, 7:14 pm, Dave <dave_and_da...@juno.com> wrote:
> >

> > > I would use a language, such as Perl, with which I could easily link
> > > to the web page for the Online Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences,
> > > using the URLhttp://
> www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/index.html?q=2,4,6,8,10,1.<http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/index.html?q=2,4,6,8,10,1.>
> ..
> > > (note that the sequence is imbeded in the URL) and output the
> > > response, which in this case includes 164 different sequences
> > > containing this sequence, the first few of which are the even numbers,
> > > the products of the digits of n, Values taken by totient function phi
> > > (m), n + product of nonzero digits of n, n + reversal of digits of n,
> > > and so forth.
> >
> > > Dave

> text -

nikhil-