For a binary tree , if we are given an inorder traversal and a
preorder/postorder/level-order traversal, we can always reconstruct back the
binary tree. This technique can be used to save and restore the binary tree
efficiently.

I have read that it is necessary to have an inorder traversal to reconstruct
the tree. i.e. if we are given a preorder and a postorder traversal, the
binary tree can not be reconstructed.

Can someone help me in understanding why this is so? i.e. why is inorder
traversal a mandatory requirement. Why can not we reconstruct the tree with
a given preorder and a postorder

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and replies.

~Himanshu Aggarwal