If we have templatized functions , return type becomes part of
function signature ( which is not the case when we have normal non-
templatized functions ) , So we can have two functions like these who
differ only in return type

template<class T> int foo(T)
{ cout << " this " ; }

template<class T> bool foo(T)
{ cout << " that " ; }

Questions is how do I call these functions. If I do like these
int k = foo<int>(12) ; it cribbs that this call is ambiguos. How do we
avoid this ambiguity  ??

On googling it I could find one cast which solves this , but I could
not understand it fully
    ((int(*)(char))foo<char>)('a');

Can some one explain in simple terms.

-Manish