@jalaj

Yes , this is endian ness specific. On windows/x86 linux which are
little endian, ch[0] would be lower 8 bits. On solaris/power pc which
are big endian this would be upper 8 bits. e.g.
union a temp;
temp.i = 0x12345678   //! here big end is 0x12 and little end is 0x78
then temp.ch[0] = 78 //! Little end first for little endian

and temp.ch[0] = 0x12 for big endian