It would be interesting to do some tests. Asymptotic performance isn't
always important. It's possible that since we are looking for only the top
10 elements, we'll get better run times using a simple linear scan to find
the insertion point (as in insertion sort) rather than the more complex
heapify operation.  Log base 2 of ten is 3+, but on average we'd scan only 5
elements for a simple insertion. These are so close that constant factors
will make a difference.  It's likely that the interviewer was looking for
people to notice this.