@Anshu:
My logic:
during merge step, lets say you have two array left and right (both are
sorted) and you are going to merge it.

l[i] represent the element of left arrray
r[j] represent the element of right array

if (r[j] < l[i]) {
  increase the inversion count by the number of elements lefts in left array
  put element r[j] into merged array
  j++
} else {
  no increase in count, just put the element r[i] into merged array
  i++;

This will be O(nlogn) solution. Can we do better using BIT or segment trees?
Can you please provide me some hint of how to solve it using segment trees,
I just know the basics of it..