Thanks so much Wladmir. This algorithm will assume that the second
character in the string will be the root of the binary tree which
could be misleading. The root might be the last character in the
string. The only thing that seems to be universally correct is that
the first character in the string is a leaf in the binary tree.

I thought of extracting all the numbers in the string. If i remember
right, they are 136 in number. Since we are talking of the sum, it
means that we don't have to bother about which side of the tree the
digits in the leaves are since 2L + 3R = 5 and 3L + 2R = 5. But then
again, I got to the question begging for an answer, which exactly in
these numbers are in the leaves of the binary tree. I could brute
force a calculation starting by assuming that all the digits are in
the leaves and then eliminating some of the numbers but that will
hardly be elegant and could just be called plain cheating even though
the site does not penalize for getting an answer wrong.