there's nothing definitely wrong with 1. but if I was about to make a peer
review I'd complain about two things: i) if this is pure-C then you should
not cast malloc's return, it's pointless and error prone --- since malloc
returns void* and by casting you get nothing but coupled code which is not
desirable and ii) of course it's even minor issues but you could check the
bounds before copying stuff,, it's ok when you know that amazon+hyd is less
than 25 bytes but checking won't do no harm so it's advisable.

again, these are really minor points. since it's a question it deserves the
best answer possible. I don't see anything else in the code.