@shashank
acc to me the problem can be done easily using greedy approach
https://ideone.com/dYbUd  ( it is your non optimal greedy solution
with just one line added )
couldn't find any case where the above code is giving wrong answer .

if you know any case, please let me know.

I wrote a dp O(n^2) solution before that but found that same can be
done using greedy as well

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM, WgpShashank <shashank7andr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A Top Down Memoization DP Algorithm Will be As  Follow
>
> Step 1. Declare an array of size N say jump[N];
> where ith position indicates the number of jumps requires to reach from
> start to this (ith) position in array .
>
> Step 2. Initialize jump[0]=0; indicates to reach oth location form starting
> location (3which is obviuosly 0) we don't requires any jump.
>
> Step 3. Check size of array and value at 0th location in array For first
> index, optimum number of jumps will be zero. Please note that if value at
> first index is zero, we can’t jump to any element and return infinite.so
> these tow cases are
>                   A.If size of array==0 means array is of zero size;
>                  B.If value at zero then we can't jump or we can't proceed
> to next location
>
> Step 4. Run Through Loop for remaining elements in array and Initialize
> jump[i] as infinite. where
>            1<=i<=N.
>            Sub-step 4A. (Please Note j runs in inner loop until i<=j+a[j] )
>             if jump[i]<jump[j]+1 update jump[i] & repeat until j>i (this
> whole processing will happen in
>             inner loop). e.g. for each ith element this loop will run &
> tries to figure out optimal/minimum
>            number of jumps required to reach this ith position from starting
> of array .
>
> Step 5. After running above algorithm we will return array[n-1] that will
> show number of jumps required
> to reach last elemnt in array from start.
>
> Time Complexity O(N^2)
> Space Complexity O(N)
> Hope You Can Convert it into Production Code
>
> Do Notify me via mail if i missed anything ??
>
> Regards
> Shashank Mani "Computer Science Is Awesome So Why I Write Code"
> Computer Science
> Birla institute of Technology Mesra

Rohit Jangid
Under Graduate Student,