I think your statement about A->B->C leads people to believe that the
depth is 2. If we know depth is 2, we just scan A's friends and C's
friends looking for a match, which is B.
If we don't know the length of the path, we might want to start
searching from A and C at the same time and look for a friend common
to both search trees.
Don