Whenver you call copy constructor it has to pass reference parameter beacuse
you dont want constructor and destructor to be called twice.
Here is the reason why,

Suppose u have two objects of a class (let 'a' and 'b').
when u want to copy 'a' into 'b' you want current status of object 'a' to be
copied into 'b'.But if it is pass by value then object 'b' will call its own
constructor and u wont get the current status of object 'a' into 'b'.

And when destructor is called then same piece of allocated memory will be
deallocated twice.So it is necessary to have copy constructors as pass by
reference.