The problem is not so clear, so you must make some assumptions to gat
an answer. Since we have water, we have to envision the histogram in
3d. Then assume that the distance between histogram bars is 1 and bar
i has height H[i], 0<=i<N, zero width and unit depth, and the base
plane is at zero. Water is held in the "pockets" between bars.  Then
the "pocket" between H[i] and H[i+1] holds min(H[i],H[i+1]).  To get
the total, just sum these for 0 <= i < N-1 .