@rahul According to C specification, half filled array will be filled with
value 0. In your example you are setting str[0] as 'g' and str[1] as 'k'.
So the compiler sets str[2....9] as 0. So you string str becomes

Confusion is arising from the fact that you have created an array of 10
elements.

To answer you original question "gk" is inherently {'g', 'k', '\0'} and has
size 3 while {'g', 'k'} has size 2.

Regards,
Sachin