Hi all,

When I run alsaconf, it sucessfully detects my sb awe64 card, but after it has setup my /etc/modules.conf file and tried to do modprobe snd-awe, insmod returns an error that /lib/modules/2.4.20-19.9/kernel/sound/snd-awe.o file cannot be found. The file is there though. I originally had this problem doing the modprobe manually and I found on google that you had to rmmod all running sound modules before doing the modprobe.

I did that in this case, but the modprobe error still comes up. If I do a restart, the modules are loaded fine though, the mixer settings are set to normal, but still no sound. When I try to play a file on xmms, the system logfile comes up with modprobe errors.

Are they associated with my installation modprobe not being successful?

Also, is there a way of diagnosing the problem I am experiencing in linux? the dmesg sometimes doesn't show up any error, even though the sound is not working.

Cheers,
Andrew