James,

I have inspiron 8100 with the same problem (maestro3 driver).
The line-out via docking station doesn't work. It has been discussed
in yahoo's dell laptop newsgroup
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/) and if I recall
it correctly, there are some register settings sound driver
has to make in order to route audio to is docking station's
connector. The driver developer(s) could not figure it out
and left it at that.

BTW, what kernel are you using with your 4100?

-Vlad

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 10:29, James Peverill wrote:
>     I have sound working on my inspiron 4100 notebook, but I use the
> notebook in a docking station which has a headphone jack on it.  This
> jack doesn't seem to work.  I've tried enabling all outputs and options,
> and turning up volumes, but I don't get anything out of that port.  The
> sound out of the notebook's onboard speakers works fine, as does sound
> out of the notebook's onboard headphone jack.  Is there some kind of
> hidden device that I am not seeing?  The alsa driver doesn't report any
> other output devices.  Under "that other OS" this other jack works the
> same as the onboard jack.  I always assumed it was just an analog type
> connection to the other jack, but apparently it is a bit more sneaky
> than that.  Any ideas?
>
> james

Vladislav Grinchenko       http://home.comcast.net/~3rdshift/
                                 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

      Focus on quality, and productivity will follow.