On Tue, 25 May 2004, Darrell B wrote:

> I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and am able to listen to input on the
> S/PDIF when using envy24control to patch it directly to HW 1 & 2 out. I
> have not been able to get the S/PDIF to work through the mixer or be
> able to record from any input.

I have an M-Audio Audiophile card as well but it is in a G4 Macintosh.  I
have been unable to get it to work with ALSA.  All I can get is digital
noise or his from the speakers no matter what inputs/outputs I select.
(Lucky you at least you get something.)  This happens with both the
alsamixer gui and the envy24control program.  BTW the envy24control
program does not work properly on PowerPC Debian. The problem seens to be
that the meters routine tries to access an unopened window and causes a
segfault.  I can post information on the problem if someone is interested.
I can get it to run but it spits out some errors about a timer not being
found. I would like to get the card working on DebianPPC.  It is a fine
card.

I have noticed by perusing the mailing lists that many people have got
cards with the same chip working on the PC (i386).

> I posted a message over a week ago asking for configuration help and
> have not received a single reply. I find a lot of other postings on the
> list asking for help for this card, but there are no definitive answers.

Yeah, one problem with Linux/Open source is that folks either ignore you
or tell you to fix it yourself.  With commercial software they just ignore
you if they can't help. :)

> non-programmer. I cannot figure out which 2.6 kernel options are needed
> to fully exploit the card or what the configuration files should look
> like. I have tried many of the examples posted, but without success.

It sounds like you already got pretty far so this might be review. You
need the the ALSA sound system (obviously) and the ICEnsemble modules. My
card has the ICE1712 chip.  If yours has the other Envy chip you should
use that one. It doesn't matter if you include both AFAIK.  After you have
installed the new kernel and modules use modprobe -v snd_ice1712 (or what
ever the module is installed. Don't use the extension with modprobe.) I
think modprobe should resolve most of the dependencies but you may have to
check with lsmod, check to see that the core alsa modules have loaded.

This is from my PC with the C-Media chip, but yours should look similar
but with the envy modules instead.

snd_pcm_oss            51236  0
snd_mixer_oss          19072  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_cmipci             38132  0
snd_pcm                93728  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_cmipci
snd_page_alloc         10884  1 snd_pcm
snd_opl3_lib           12032  1 snd_cmipci
snd_timer              26756  2 snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib
snd_hwdep               9184  1 snd_opl3_lib
snd_mpu401_uart         8896  1 snd_cmipci
snd_rawmidi            24352  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8520  2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
snd                    51876  10
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_cmipci,snd_pcm,sn
d_opl3_lib,snd_timer,snd_hwdep,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device

> My wish is for someone who understands the intricacies of ALSA and the
> Audiophile 2496 to write an installation and configuration guide for the
> complete moron. I suppose that the many different application
> combinations such as JACK, ARTS, ESD, 5.1, etc., make this too big a
> task.

Did you check the Alsa envy page?  I know it is pretty minimal especially
if you have serious problems like I am having.
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Midiman&card=Delta+DiO+2496&chip=Envy24&module=ice1712

I did find another page where someone posted all the envy24control
screenshots. I don't have the link handy but try some googling if your
interested.

Fred

Error Loading Explorer.exe
You must reinstall Windows.