On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Jeff Silverman wrote:

>Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:29:40 -0700
>From: Jeff Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Amanda Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Is it possible to run an amanda client without inetd?
>
>I don't see anywhere in the documentation where it says how to run
>amandad without an inetd, but I don't see anywhere where it says you
>can't.

I don't know if amandad is written to be a full-time server process.
The logic behind such a server is different than one designed for
use with inetd, so I wouldn't make any assumptions about this.

>I think I want to setup inetd on this machine (because I think inetd is
>more secure), but I want an authoritative statement along the lines of,
>"You must run inetd or amandad won't work" (because setting up inetd is
>some work).

Inetd or a close relative is a standard fixture on unix machines.  The
only inetd configuration you must do to support amanda is add three
lines to the inetd.conf and kill HUP the inetd process.

--
Joi Ellis
[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.visi.com/~gyles19/