I'm running 2.4.2 on the drive host. Clients are running a mixture of 2.4.1
and 2.4.2

Did I read somewhere that using a changer (including chg-manual) doesn't
work with cron? The tape drive opens during this 'suspension' -- I guess
it's waiting for the next tape and some sort of input that the tape was
changed. Please let me know if I just answered the question to my own
problem and if there is any workaround. Thanks.

Which release of Amanda?  It should have dumped to the holding disk,
in degraded mode (i.e., just incrementals, unless you set reserve to
less than 100%, in which case it would reserve that amount of the
holding disk for incrementals and use the rest for full backups).