On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 05:10:43PM -0400, Aaron Bennett wrote:

> What virus scanner's work best with Amavisd?  I'll have to convince a
> few people if I intend to replace a proprietary product with a free
> one.  Any ammo I can use would be appreciated; and if you think I'm
> going down the wrong road here, I'd like to know that as well.

It's not a choice between one or the other - amavisd-new works happily
with multiple AV scanners.  In fact, that's a good thing because there
will _always_ be some viruses caught by one and not the other.

Multiple AV scanners also gives you some fault-tolerance because if
one fails the mail will still be processed by the other, and not stay
stuck in your queue.

So you can just install clamav and then check your logs to see which
catches "more" viruses, and which is updated quickest with new
signatures when there's an outbreak.  The same one won't always win.

At any rate, clamav is a excellent choice for scanning email.  It's
fast, accurate, and gets quick updates.  It should not add a
significant load to your server.

So just install it alongside uvscan and everyone will be happy.  A few
months of log-diving will tell you if it's worth keeping both, and you
will have your own, site-specific evidence if needed.

You may need to tweak the paths in amavsid.conf to get it to find
the clamdscan socket, see the amavisd.conf file for comments.

--
Noel Jones