The main thing is to keep uvscan up to date. Current version of the engine is v4.4.00. Notice that dat files are now updated daily, but in any case, I would suggest to use the beta dats, which now are updated hourly. In fact, NAI recommends using these on their permiter products (webshield/exchange) as well as high risk machines.

In any case, the main reason for going with clamav is simply that it's a daemonized scanner, instead of a command line, making scanning of messages much faster.

Set up clamav as the first one, and uvscan as a secondary one...

Phil Regnauld wrote:

Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt) writes:
Why not run the two side-by-side and then show that clamd kicks
uvscan's ass?

        I can confirm that.  uvscan is letting several viruses through
        every day, clamd seems to catch most (this is on a setup with
        3 AVs: Trend, McAfee, and clamav -- though an old amavisd-new
        20050217).