Dustin wrote:

> lost connection with localhost[127.0.0.1] while sending end of data

> Gary,

> The time spent scanning is highly variable - anywhere from 300ms through,
>  in some cases, 20+ seconds...which I've always thought was high...but
>  have never really paid attention until now that I'm
> seeing something going on...

> I did raise the log level to 3 to see if anything was strange - but it all
> looked OK.
>   Should I go to 4 or 5?  Will that show the minute detail that we need here?

I would think that if everything looks OK you would not continue to
get the error. Are you still getting this error? Do you get anything if you grep
your log (that has amavisd-new data in it) for these text strings:?

TROUBLE
Can't
TIMED
ERROR
Error
error:
PRESERVING

BTW, you can use 'find' to prune the temp files as shown at:
http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#faq-gen
This link may also give you ideas on other things you might check.