On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 07:06 -0800, Bill Randle wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 15:40 +0100, Mark Martinec wrote:
> > Bill,
> >
> > > Problem 1: after an 'amavisd reload' or 'amavisd stop' command, not
> > > all child processes die. The main server thread exits and some children
> > > may exit, but often one or more children hang around. Example:
> > > 31249 ?        R    877:28 amavisd (ch4-31249-04)
> > > Note that 31249 is still hanging around. A manual 'kill -TERM' will not
> > > make it go away. I have to use 'kill -9' to zap it.
> >
> > Net::Server only uses SIGTERM to kill its child processes on shutdown.
> > If a child process does not respond to SIGTERM, a manual SIGKILL
> > might be necessary.
> >
> > It would be interesting to find out what the stuck process was doing.
> >
> > Running at log level 5 for a while would make it possible to examine
> > the last log entries by a process, which need to be manually killed.
> >
> > Attaching truss or strace to such process might also indicate
> > what it is doing.
>
> strace shows both hung processes in this state:
>       child A: futex(0xb7db4370, FUTEX_WAIT, 2, NULL
>       child B: futex(0xb9c5f28, FUTEX_WAIT, 2, NULL
>
> I'm running with level 5 debugging now and will followup with the
> logfile info for the hung process(es).

As a followup to my earlier emails, I did run for a day or two with
level 5 debugging and caught one in the act, so to speak. It turns out
it was hanging after calling SA.

That made me thing of something I had seen on the SA mailing list about
the FuzzyOCR plugin. Some early versions were known to hang on some
image files and not properly exit. I thought mine was recent enough to
not have that problem. Just in case, I upgraded to the latest devel
version and amavisd has not hung since. It's been running for two days
with no problems, so I believe the issue is resolved.

        -Bill