From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Giampaolo,
>
> > > With 2.5.0 yes.
> > I want it. No, I need it! :)
>
> Ok, tomorrow or maybe even today...

Great!

> > Oh, by the way. Is it a per-user config, right?
>
> Which? Enabling defanging, *_lovers, blocking_ccat and such
> is per-user,

I meant blocking_ccat.

> but when defanging strikes it, it still currently
> applies the same message modification for all recipients.
> Mail header editing is per-user, mail body editing is still per-message.

Well, I can stand with it: most of my users have the very same settings. I did
a squirrelmail plugin to let them handle their virus/banned/spam settings but,
of course, almost nobody did use it...

> > Well, I don't see any problem about this with known viri.
> > However, one may
> > occasionally get some unknown viri too, which may behave as bad as the
> > firsts. So, avoiding SA on viri maybe limits the risk, but doesn't avoid
> > it. Why not spawn a new child to run SA only on the specific message in
> > which a virus or a banned had been detected? Would it reduce the risk?
>
> Actually the 2.5.0 does allow calling SA in a subprocess and retrieving
> results over a pipe from it. Actually even 2.4.5 supports it:
>
>   $sa_spawned = 0;  # true: run SA in a subprocess;  false: call
> SA directly
>
> although I intended to keep it low-profile. It seems to work just
> fine, it adds about 20..30 ms per SA call on our server. Benefits
> are separation of potential problems in SA and its external modules
> from affecting amavisd, and cleaner timeout aborts. Drawback
> is there are more processes now, so worst case (when all child
> processes are doing spam checks) memory requirements double.
> Try and see, set $sa_spawned=1 in amavisd.conf and that's it.

This would spawn a new process even when the mail has no virus nor banned
content. Well, no: I'm at short in memory.

> > One more question. The defang message is a bit crude and I would like to
> > personalize it. 2.5.x supports a defang message template?
>
> Indeed, defanging is rather crude currently. Its main limitation is
> that it does not support per-recipient mail handling, it affects the
> whole message and can not split it if different recipients would
> require different handling (unlike other header edits, which fully
> support per-recipient editing). This is on a to-do list...
>
> Also there are currently no templates for defanging, modifications
> are hard-wired. Something for the future. If someone would like
> to work on it, go ahead.

I'm not that confident with perl, anyway maybe I'll try to figure out how to do
a defang template.

> > Also about templating in general. Two or three years ago I
> tried to do an
> > html template, but amavisd refused to work correctly with it.
> At the epoch,
> > I was said that custom templating was restricted to a single text/plain
> > mime part. Is 2.5.x finally overcaming this limitations?
>
> No, status quo, still on a to-do list. I never came around to work
> on this, there were always some other more pressing needs...

Of course.

Ok, thank you, Mark.

Giampaolo