Dear Robert et al,

Robert Brooks wrote:
[..]
> Mark,
>
> many thanks for this. I'd not thought about the problems with
> performance. However it is precisely because this is prequeue that I am
> interested.

Me too, I'm interested to have some of the tests done pre-queue.

> I'm keen to avoid accepting email which is not going to be delivered.
> I'd rather the server which has the message is responsible for bouncing
> than us creating back-scatter or silently failing to deliver.

Thats one point for which I'm interested in pre-queue filtering

> Also ultimately I'd like users to be able to chose who they do and don't
> accept email from. Just because something is blacklisted doesn't
> necessarily mean it's spam (or that all users wish this address to be
> blacklisted). There can be personal reasons for blacklisting or
> commercial emailers that aren't diligent with unsubscription requests.

I turned off BL filtering in SA and enabled them in Postfix
(reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net etc.). This checks are relatively
cheap, it does not questioning the expensive SA.

I also applied some basic sender and header checking with postfix which
are also cheap and quite successful.

The result of this is quite a lower load on the mailserver and properly
rejected mails for the methods which are "dangerous" for false positives.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Luc