I think I may have misunderstood the way Amavisd-new processes emails in
combination with
SpamAssassin. Can anyone confirm the following please:

Am I correct in thinking that if I completely disable bad header checks then
Amavisd-new should be
able to use the SA score as it does for spam that does not have header issues?
The reason for the
question is:

Although the processing order is:

SpamAssassin checks
Header checks

I am seeing emails that are trapped with:
$final_bad_header_destiny = D_BOUNCE;
and have only the header:
But when the same emails are passed through SA manually they easily exceed the
spam kill score.

I originally expected the SA checks to take priority and left the default:
$final_bad_header_destiny = D_PASS;
in place. However, many of these emails are blatant spam, resulting in the
obvious user reactions.

But quarantining the BH emails is causing an admin overhead to check for the
frequent FPs.

BTW I am as sure as I can be that the SA tests are not being bypassed because
of previous auto-
whitelising. Also, this is a mail gateway and all emails are treated equally
(no per-user
scores/whitelists etc.).

Thanks,

Mark