Mark Tiramani,

> Am I correct in thinking that if I completely disable bad header checks
> then Amavisd-new should be able to use the SA score as it does for spam
> that does not have header issues?

Header checks, even if triggered, do not prevent spam checks from running.

> The reason for the question is:
> I am seeing emails that are trapped with:
> $final_bad_header_destiny = D_BOUNCE;
> and have only the header:
> But when the same emails are passed through SA manually they easily exceed
> the spam kill score.

Check the log, demonstrate that spam checks were really skipped.

> I originally expected the SA checks to take priority and left the default:
> $final_bad_header_destiny = D_PASS;
> in place. However, many of these emails are blatant spam, resulting in the
> obvious user reactions.

Spam results do have priority over bad headers. The order goes like:
  CC_VIRUS
  CC_BANNED
  CC_UNCHECKED
  CC_SPAM
  CC_SPAMMY
  CC_BADH
  CC_OVERSIZED
  CC_MTA
  CC_CLEAN

I'm not sure what you are seing actually. Which version of amavisd-new?
Show evidence.