Peter wrote:

> I have read that postgresql is better suited for amavisd logging (I want
> logging so I can use penpals) but I may be stuck with using mysql.  I have <
> 100 users.  Will I be ok using mysql as opposed to postgresql?

> Peter

MySQL may get a bad rap because out of the box it is configured
to use as little ram as possible for caching and in this state it
performs quite poorly if using the recommended InnoDB tables. It helps
a great deal to increase innodb_buffer_pool_size and innodb_log_buffer_size.
In an ad hoc experiment I did, increasing the innodb_buffer_pool_size
from the default 8M to a conservative 128M increased write speed by a
factor of 8.

README.sql-mysql states:

--  Wayne Smith adds: When using MySQL with InnoDB one might want to
--  increase buffer size for both pool and log, and might also want
--  to change flush settings for a little better performance. Example:
--    innodb_buffer_pool_size  = 384M
--    innodb_log_buffer_size = 8M
--    innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 0
--  The big performance increase is the first two, the third just helps
--  with lowering disk activity.

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/09/29/what-to-tune-in-mysql-server-after-installation/

You should also have some sample files that may be informative.
My distro came with:
my-huge.cnf.gz
my-innodb-heavy-4G.cnf.gz
my-large.cnf.gz