Leo,

> > - [...] allowed time is calculated as 2/3 of the remaining time

> Hmm - that's bad.
> I have $child_timeout set to 20 min (20*60) because in a before-queue
> setup, it may take quite a long time till all the data is transferred
> over the net.
>
> But smtpd_proxy_timeout is at the default 100 sec, so after all data is
> transferred, amavisd has 100 seconds to complete.
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.postfix.user/97919/focus=98038

It is not bad, you have two separate controls now available:

amavisd-new-2.4.0 release notes

- introduced new configuration variable $smtpd_timeout (default 8*60 seconds)
  which controls the amount of time we are willing to wait for slow/idle client
  during incoming SMTP session before disconnecting a session. Previously the
  $child_timeout was covering complete elapsed time, both our processing and
  waiting for client, now the $child_timeout only still limits our processing,
  and $smtpd_timeout only limits waiting time. With Postfix after-queue setup
  the $smtpd_timeout should be higher than Postfix setting max_idle (default
  100s). Some other setups (like a pre-queue setup) may demand substantially
  higher $smtpd_timeout values; inflexibility pointed out by Martin Schmitt;