Joshua,

> That's what I'd think...I have no idea what I'm missing.  It seems like
> there would be some config option to say "Pass all message through SA."

Yes, this is a default.

> > At this point you probably
> > are going to have to raise $log_level to 5 long enough for a message
> > to go through. Alternately, you can send yourself a message with your
> > sender address in @debug_sender_maps:
> >
> > # If sender matches ACL, turn debugging fully up, just for this one
> > message @debug_sender_maps = ( ['[EMAIL PROTECTED]'] );
>
> I put this line in the conf file:
>
> @debug_sender_maps = ( ['[EMAIL PROTECTED]']);
>
> restarted amavis, and sent my user on that system an e-mail.
>
> > In your log look for something like:
> >
> > Jun 26 20:07:19 sfa amavis[4225]: (04225-01) headers CLUSTERING: NEW
> > CLUSTER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: score=-0.155, tag=1, tag2=0, local=1, bl=,
> > s=, mangle=
>
> I got:
>
> amavis[31807]: (31807-01) Passed CLEAN, [216.115.115.245] [216.115.115.226]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Message-ID:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mail_id: 3gBKzLCipUuC, Hits: -,
> 212 ms
>
> So the debug sender maps weren't taking effect.

Perhaps your syslogd is limiting syslog level to higher that LOG_DEBUG.

But from the above (Hits: -) we see that SpamAssasssin was not even called.
Perhaps $sa_mail_body_size_limit is too low, a usual value is:

# don't waste time on SA if mail is larger
$sa_mail_body_size_limit = 400*1024;

> There is a file in /etc/amavis/conf.d that has the following confusing
> language:
>
> # You can modify this file to re-enable SPAM checking through spamassassin
> # and to re-enable antivirus checking.
> .
> .
> .
> #
> # Default SPAM checking mode
> # Uncomment the two lines below to enable it back

Yes, a Debianism, making things more convoluted than they need be.

> @bypass_spam_checks_maps = (
>    \%bypass_spam_checks, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> \$bypass_spam_checks_re);
>
> Those two lines were commented out.  So I uncommented them.  Still no
> change in behavior.  My config file doesn't have %bypass_spam_checks,
> @bypass_spam_checks_acl, or $bypass_spam_checks_re.  I guess that means
> they're undefined, and thus not affecting anything?

To make sure what you are getting, you may explicitly
set it to an empty list:

  @bypass_spam_checks_maps = ();

returning false on lookups, so it will NOT try to bypass spam checks.

> I'm sorry for all this hassle...I really don't see what I have configured
> incorrectly.  Do you want me to post my entire Amavis config?  I can't see
> why this would be so difficult. :)

Perhaps we should see the full log now (at log level 5, or: 'amavid debug' )
if the above does not help.

> Should I just connect Spamd directly
> with Postfix and take out Amavis completely?

I hope not :)