Jason,

>   I've been reading some documentation, and trying to implement p0f
> fingerprint checking.
> I went ahead and turned it on in my config:
> $os_fingerprint_method = 'p0f:127.0.0.1:2345';  # to query
> p0f-analyzer.pl
>
> And the resulting amavisd log shows that the fingerprint code is loaded.
>
> I am running this from the command line for testing:
>     p0f -l 'tcp dst port 25' | p0f-analyzer.pl 2345
> (with p0f-analyzer in debug mode)
>
> I'm not getting any queries.  So, I went ahead and fired up tcpdump.
> Amavisd does not appear to be attempting to communicate.   I can verify
> this is an external host and should not be hitting the MYNETS rules.

Is amavisd getting information about client IP from MTA through XFORWARD?
A client IP address should show (through macro %a) in the log,
and at log level 1 also in the log entry such as:

amavis[16469]: (16469-18) Checking: rhOluIzi8z9w [121.133.47.8] <xxx> -> <xxx>

amavisd-new-2.4.0 release notes
  * preconditions are: $os_fingerprint_method must be configured, the
    p0f-analyzer.pl process must be running, and amavisd must be receiving
    client IP address information from MTA, which in a Postfix case means
    the XFORWARD protocol extension to SMTP must be enabled in the Postfix
    service feeding mail to amavisd, e.g. "-o smtp_send_xforward_command=yes",
    or in a sendmail/milter setup the more sophisticated AM.PDP protocol
    must be used;
  [...]