MrC wrote:

> vwf wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm a newby on amavis. I run amavis to block virus-email. It seems to
>> work fine: no virusses came through so far, and no email got lost (I
>> think).
>>
>> The problem is that my quarantine directory is filling up, and I don't
>> know how to clean it.  When I cleared /var/lib/amavis/tmp/, amavis
>> stopped working.
>>
>> How do I safely remove old quarantine files (e.g. >30 days)?
>>
>> I run amavisd-new 2.4.2-6.1 on Debian Etch.
>>
>> Thanks

> It is safe to remove the old temporary and quarantine files - amavis
> will not be using them.

>    find /var/lib/amavis/tmp/ -type f -mtime +30 -print | xargs /bin/rm -f

> MrC

On Debian you can remove temporary amavis-* directories simply by
restarting amavis with '/etc/init.d/amavis restart'. The init script
has code to remove temp directories (this is performed after
amavisd-new is stopped):

cleanup() {
        [ -d /var/lib/amavis ] &&
          find /var/lib/amavis -maxdepth 1 -name 'amavis-*' -type d \
                -exec rm -rf "{}" \; >/dev/null 2>&1 || true
        [ -d /var/lib/amavis/tmp ] &&
          find /var/lib/amavis/tmp -maxdepth 1 -name 'amavis-*' -type d \
                -exec rm -rf "{}" \; >/dev/null 2>&1 || true
        :
}

You should only have one amavis-* temp directory for each running amavisd-new
process. If there are many more than this, you likely have some sort of problem.
See http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#faq-gen

As MrC shows, you can use the find command to delete files older than
a given number of days. The command I use is similar:
find /var/lib/amavis/virusmails -name 'virus-*' -mtime +29 -type f -exec rm -f
{} \;