Curtis,

> Are the hash tables that amavsd-new uses db4 hashes?
> if not what are they?

They are Perl associative arrays, colloquially known as hashes.

It is possible to use a Perl 'tie' mechanism to associate
an associative array variable with an external database,
such as db4. It's beeen tried and known to work, although
it is practically never used. If an external database for
lookups is needed, a preferred solution is SQL (or LDAP).
For a small site a good solution for SQL lookups is
a SQLite database, no SQL server is needed.

> I need to write an interface for white/blacklisting.
> the mysql documentation is largely incoherent unless
> you have a degree in CS.

I agree the SQL documentation could use a face lift.

You'd need a record in table 'users' for each recipient
(or a recipient domain) which needs its own white/blacklist
entries. A policy id could point to some policy record with all
fields NULL or missing, if it is not needed for other purposes.

The sender addresses go to table 'mailaddr'. Only those
sender addresses (or sender domains) need to be stored there
which are needed in white/black-list entries.

Lastly, the table 'wblist' creates associations between
senders and recipients, either blacklisting or whitelisting
some sender for some recipient.