Scott,

> > I had tried "@local_domains_maps = ();" without luck.  Alas, your
> > suggestion also does not appear to have worked.
>
> Ah, found it.  The policy defined in the sql policy table for the
> servers in the DMZ was overriding the settings in the config file for
> the internal 'dummy' amavisd.  I should be able to get around that by
> setting @lookup_sql_dsn to undef and leaving @storage_sql_dsn set.

Right. Thanks for tracking it down. On startup the log should report:

  amavis[46211]: ANTI-VIRUS code      NOT loaded
  amavis[46211]: ANTI-SPAM code       NOT loaded
  amavis[46211]: ANTI-SPAM-SA code    NOT loaded
  amavis[46211]: Unpackers code       NOT loaded

Consider also:

  $bypass_decode_parts = 1;

which turns off also the first-step MIME decoding.

And if only SQL logging is needed (for other server's penpals benefit),
the penpals checks by a dummy amavisd can also be turned off:

  $penpals_bonus_score = 0;

> Thanks for the help!  $remove_existing_spam_headers answered the other
> half of the issue, as well.

The value of $remove_existing_spam_headers is irrelevant if anti-spam code
is not loaded, existing X-Spam* headers are not stripped if replacements
are not intended to be provided.

Unnecessarily complicated, the @local_domains_maps=() suffices.

> But some divisions within the super maga corp bar.com don't route
> outbound mail back across this private line... they route mail
> across the internet. [...]
> This is only an issue with respect to amavis' penpal support.

It might matter if they use SPF, or if you are DKIM-signing their
outbound mail for them.

> We use sql logging, so my solution is to insert a dummy amavisd on one
> of the common internal mail exchanger hosts and log all traffic to a
> common database.

So you _are_ in position to get hold of such traffic, why not just
re-route it to wherever you like.