-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark
Martinec
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:02 PM
To: amavis-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [AMaViS-user] dkim + altermime disclaimer

Patrick Wong writes:
> I have a situation where altermime disclaimer insertion and amavis
dkim
> signing on outgoing mail begot result from gmail's dkim verification I
> don't know what to make of:
>
> Mail of mime type plaintext with plaintext disclaimer inserted through
> altermime + dkim signing is OK when verified by gmail (dkim=pass)
>
> But, when mime type is html and html disclaimer is used, I'll get
> "dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify)" on gmail's authentication
> result.

I was able to reproduce the problem and I understand what is happening,
although I'm not sure which component is to blame.

When altermime is inserting a plain text disclaimer to a mail text
(as stored on a file on Unix, i.e. line endings are LF), it inserts
a text from a disclaimer file as-is, i.e. a disclaimer text along with
its LF line endings is directly inserted into a mail text, unmodified.
This works fine, message transfers unmodified and a signature is valid.

When altermime is inserting a '--disclaimer-html' into a html mail,
for some reason it inserts a CR before each LF of the inserted html
text,
instead of copying it as-is from a disclaimer file! Here is an example
of the resulting message body:

   style="font-size:18pt;font-family:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono">
  ^M
  <i>Disclaimer</i>^M
  --Boundary-01=_cBVUIiha08fkdho--

Amavisd then signs the resulting message, along with all the extra CR
in the disclaimer part of a html text, then sends it over SMTP to
Postfix.
I confirmed that a signature is correct for the presented message,
and tcpdump confirms that the SMTP session still has a CR before each
end-of-line. As the SMTP protocol demands line endings to be CRLF,
the bytes sent are actually CR CRLF (0d 0d 0a):

62 72 3e 0d 0d 0a 3c 2f 62 6f 64 79 3e 3c 2f 68    br>...</body></h

When Postfix relays such a message, it strips off the extra CRs
(CR CR LF => CR LF) as confirmed by a tcpdump of a SMTP session
towards the next MTA. This modification of the message breaks
a DKIM signature.

Now, an easy finger-pointing tells me that altermime shouldn't
be inserting extra CRs in the HTML disclaimer part (like it
does correctly for the plain text disaclaimer).

Apart from the altermime's guilt, which is the next in line?
How should MTA and a DKIM-signer behave regarding bare-CR in
a mail body?