Not exactly AM radio stuff but it sort of falls in the category of old
technology meets the new world.

If the list moderator wants to kill this I will certainly understand.  We
could discuss it separately.

I use a modern turntable with 33/45 RPM settings some of the real new TT's
do have 78RPM (it is becoming a thing to do). Having the proper stylus is
important because it fits the groove and can be set to track a little
heavier than a gram.  Be careful not to track to heavy, the cartridge may
not like it.

A lot of the old 78RPM records did not use the standard RIAA equalization of
today.  There were many different EQs used in those days.  Having a 24
bit/96K sound card is a plus for computer recording because you don't have
to worry about getting the levels set just right.  Just about any visible
thing that you can see on the display will be using more than 16 bits in the
24 bit format.  This gives you plenty of head room to manipulate the
recording latter using the recording software's features to get the sound
just the way you want it whether it is RIAA or not.  You can even record it
at 45RPM and adjust the speed with the software later and re-EQ.  After you
have it the way you want it to sound then the software will allow you to
normalize the recording and then save it to 16 or 24bit format.  16 bit
format for CD audio

Recording software:
        Many types are available.  Audio Audition by Adobe is what I use -
$300 - a little expensive but pretty good.

        A Canadian company called Goldwave - free trial 40 dollar purchase
probably the best bet.  I used it before I got Audition.

        Audacity - Free - I don't know about its EQ and other feature
capabilities

This is all not recommended on a computer that has glitches or is slow.

Good Luck
John