The kernel in the android source dir isn't of much use.  You'll want
to check out the kernel tree separately.  I did the following:

$ git clone git://android.git.kernel.org/kernel/common.git
$ git checkout -t origin/android-goldfish-2.6.27 -b goldfish
$ cd common # the kernel source is now in here
$ make goldfish_defconfig

Then build it and run it.

If that doesn't work for you, you may need to get the config from a
running kernel, rather than using the goldfish_defconfig.  Use
something like 'adp pull /proc/config.gz', decompress config.gz, and
rename it .config in the kernel source directory.  Then build and run
it.

Good luck,
--Juan