Exactly the reason why I posted this on android-kernel.
However, to put it in simple words,

busybox has /etc/initab where I can start getty on serial console and hence
get me a login shell or use the askfirst action to get a shell on serial
device.

what is it's android equivalent ?

regards,
Pavan

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Tirtha Kanti Ghosh <gtir...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Pavan,
>
> First of all the kernel boot argument (like console=ttySx) is diffrent from
> what you see the ttyX# in Android sysfs.
> When Kernel comes up there is no concept of sysfs and driver model of
> linux.
>
> >But recently the device got changed from the generic /dev/ttyS to
> >/dev/ttyO because of change in the UART driver.
>
> This change I guess, in Android sysfs, right??
>
> Normally, your init.rc starts console service from /system/bin/sh. (when
> init.rc comes by that time proper driver framework has been initialized)
> The "sh" app, will enquire the TTY core to get the proper console id and do
> all rd/wr on that. Note that this console can be connected with any serial
> means UART, USB etc. The console should properly registered so that any user
> application use this console in generic way.
>
> Though there could be multiple reason behind your problem to not to get the
> Android Shell. But this is the way, it works.
> I would suggest you to consult the problem with BSP(linux kernel porting)
> team members of your new board.
>
> Regards,
> Tirtha
>

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM, pavan savoy <pavan.sa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried searching this on few other lists - no hits
>> How do I get an android shell (console which is run from /init.rc) to
>> work on /dev/tty* devices ?
>>
>> I am not sure how it worked on few other hardware that I have been working
>> with.
>> But recently the device got changed from the generic /dev/ttyS to
>> /dev/ttyO because of change in the UART driver.
>> hence would like to know how exactly does it work ?
>>
>> I had my bootargs point to the new device created, and the error logs,
>> kernel messages, seem to appear properly - but still no shell.
>>
>> --
>> --Pavan Savoy
>>
>> --

--Pavan Savoy